Saturday, April 28, 2012

Nautical themed freestyled frame

I love finding free pictures frames.  There is something so satisfying about hanging a lovely picture on a wall with the full knowledge that it was made possible by keeping an eye out for the possible- or in my case, for the possibilities presented by a cast-off.  This is the heart of the freestyle philosophy.
I've found a few frames at le dump, and most often they just need a cleaning.  Given that the main ingredients are usually some combination of plastic, metal, and glass it is a pretty straightforward task.
This pink-ish wooden frame with an interesting rope detail was a recent acquisition:
How may I enhance your day?

 Issues with this frame included a few rough spots, and a flimsy backing construction. It was not designed to hang on the wall, but our house isn't really a 'pictures of loved ones on the end table' kind of place.  What to do? It sat for a while in the "idea zone," a special corner in the living room, we talked about painting it some neutral color.... Then one sunny day Creative Roommate was inspired and I came home to find a newly  freestyled frame and a suitable picture for framing, right there on the end table.

Bubbles!

The fish was the first part that caught my eye (naturally), but then I noticed the bubbles on the frame, or were they?
Look a little closer.......


Googly-eyed all over
She used googly eyes! Removable sticker googly eyes, not what I would have reached for (because I don't have any) but somehow appropriate given the subject of the painting (also by Creative Roommate).

Not to overlook the painting of the frame, there are a few places where the old pink hue peeps through-  just enough to give it an aged look.


 Here's looking at you, freestyled frame.