Thursday, December 12, 2013

A tall drink of freestyle (furniture)


(An old freestyle adventure from the sidewalks of Cambridge that was never posted, until now!)

While heading out to the store one night with a friend, I spotted a tall narrow shelf lying in a pool of streetlight on the far sidewalk.  Full stop! Immediate inspection required!  Groceries had to wait while we brought this shelf into the apartment and laid in on the floor in the living room.  Moving furniture at night always feels a leeeetle bit (scandalous, secretive, surreptitious, sketchy??), but also somehow more victorious.

I was initially excited at the prospect of using this shelf for shoes, going so far as to put it in the closet. I measured the space, but not my feet. Turns out, my shoes were too big to lay flat on the shelves, they fall out! Boo.  So the shelf had to come out of the closet. Then it had to wait around a while, twiddling its thumbs, while I considered how to use it.  A narrow shallow bookshelf? Display space for tchotchkes? I suspect in its former life this shelf displayed CDs, or movies.  


The tall shelf sat around our place, empty, for a while, until one night we were visiting friends and I spied the SAME SHELF but in a different finish.  Quelle coincidence!  It was also a freestyle find, perhaps no one in Cambridge needs to store CDs anymore.  They had arranged their shelf to charming effect with books, mementos, and a plant.

Looking good!
 I asked if they would be interested in a second, free, one to use as they saw fit.  (Thinking to myself, Please, take it off my hands, we don’t actually have the space) After some hemming and hawing, they agreed to accept the shelf when Friend offered to deliver it to their front door.  *Sigh of relief*  Adios to the tall shelf, may you serve a purpose for someone else.
Happy freestyling.