Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Tower of Power: Bronzed metal wire shelf

Part 1. Metal wire shelving is the best

My appreciation, perhaps adoration, of metal wire shelving is deeply rooted in my psyche after about a decade of having to move at least once a year.  I appreciate the existence of furniture that is sturdy enough to hold 300 pounds per shelf (at least some brands offer that), simple enough to disassemble or reassemble in about 10 minutes, and lightweight enough that the pieces can be carried by a single person - maybe even all the pieces at the same time.  So if you're a renter, and you need shelving, don't buy some junky fiberboard 'bookshelf' (but by all means get that for free, obvi), but if you must pay for furniture make the wise choice and get some metal wire shelving in a useful size and pleasing finish. I've seen metal wire shelving in chrome/silver, black, white, and dark coppery bronze.

Part 2: Metal wire shelf in dark bronze

I saw this shelf still fully assembled in a trash room, and I was so excited by the size and shape I forgot to take a 'before' picture. oops!  Instead I just started taking it apart, because I knew it could serve nicely in my storage unit if none of my friends wanted it.  However, I texted these pictures to a friend, along with the dimensions and the caveat that one of the plastic shelf support pieces was missing (these can be purchase for $5-8 per set), to see if she wanted a shelf.....





















Her response was an enthusiastic YES PLEASE!

Part 3: Conclusion

We arranged a swap that very evening -- and there was a surprise bonus was gift of baked goods at the end of it (something like 1 shelf set-for-four-scones...although things are bit hazy now).  A few days later I got a picture of the reassembled shelf, now taking pride of place in the living room as a home for houseplants.

Metal wire shelving with houseplants
Plant tower of power






































I hope the aloes, pathos, dracaenas, and other plant residents appreciate their elevated view on the world.  And remember, metal wire shelving is so flexible, if you don't want that shelf there is definitely someone else who does

Happy freestling!