Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Green and black makeover for a rusted metal shelf (no chocolate involved)

The Find

While out for a walk on trash night (every freestyler's favorite night of the week) I came across this old-school metal shelf.

Discarded metal shelf at night
Discarded metal shelf












Upon some examination by light-of-cellphone I determined that this was a perfectly serviceable shelf.  Also the old gray metal shelf is very lightweight which made it easy to carry back to the freestyle workshop.

The Makeover

As per usual, the course of action with this piece was as follows: clean, sand, paint, use!

The rust was pretty heavy on the top side of the shelves and one of the legs, perhaps it was in some standing water or mud.

Metal shelf: side view
Metal shelf: side view



















Metal shelf: view of bottom shelf rust
Metal shelf: view of bottom shelf rust






















Metal shelf: rusted bottom of leg
Metal shelf: rusted bottom of leg



After doing some hand-sanding - until I felt it was good enough and I got bored with it - I wiped off the piece and was ready to start spray painting.  I used the spray paints I had on hand, glossy green and glossy black.  Since I did not fully remove all of the rust and make the surface smooth you can see the patchiness of the glossy black finish even after 2-ish coats.  Since this is not a 'forever' piece - I wanted something serviceable and not flaking rust - I'm not too concerned about the patchiness of the finish. Also, it is a shelf, so the plan is to store stuff on the shelf, not gaze at it critically.

Metal shelf after repainting in green and black
Metal shelf after repainting in green and black









Conclusion

After the paint was nice and dry the shelf came inside to serve as storage somewhere. It found a temporary-ish place against a wall and a few minutes later was identified as the perfect spot to hold the power tool battery charger. Hmm, I see where this might be going.....

Metal shelf: starting a new storage journey holding per tools
Metal shelf: starting a new storage journey holding power tools












Happy Freestyling!