Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Basket liner from thrifted skirt lining

The Find

This lovely basket was out on the curb one night, and I liked the color, size, and generous flat handle. It seemed like just the thing to hold some yarn supplies, so home I went with my new-to-me basket. After a thorough vacuuming and  cleaning wipe down it was ready to go back into service.

Brown basket sitting on carpet, side view
Basket: side view


Brown basket sitting on carpet, top view into basket
Basket: top view


Bottom of basket, showing worn label that says 'Handcrafted Philippines'
Basket: worn label on bottom says 'Handcrafted Philippines'


 

















The Makeover

Although the basket is it relatively good shape, since I planned to store yarn inside I didn't want any possible snags on the basket sides.  Luckily I had extra smooth polyester fabric lying around from a thrift store skirt that I had deliberately shrunk in order to make felted wool for an art project.  The skirt lining became basket lining!
 
Lining material with knotted end
















How did I turn this skirt lining into a basket lining?  All I had to do was tie a knot in the cut-end of the lining material, put that in the basket, fold down the finished edge over the side of the basket, and tie another small knot around the handle using the edges of the skirt back slit.

Conclusion

Here is the newly lined basket (and re-used skirt lining) ready to start serving as wool storage.
Basket with grey polyester fabric liner and felted wool skirt remnant
Lined basket with felted wool skirt remnant



















Happy freestyling, it never hurts to be open to a variety of storage solutions. You never know what the curb-iverse will send your way!