Monday, September 10, 2012

Freestyle on the road - Finds!

Just because I leave Cambridge doesn't mean I stop freestyling!  
While driving with my parents through a rather posh part of my home state we saw this sign for an Estate Sale (below).  

It might surprise you that I'm not a frequenter of Estate Sales given my enthusiasm for re-use, but three things have kept me back.
1. I have never been an early riser 
2. Graduate student budgets (and apartment sizes) do not lend themselves to the purchase of antique credenzas or heirloom jewelry
3. Not owning a car means many sales are un-reachable, even if I were organized enough to know when and where they were happening....

But all that doesn't mean I don't like to look if I serendipitously happen to come across a sale.  Turns out, it was the 2nd day of the estate sale and most of the remaining stuff was free, the house had been sold and the guy running the sale just wanted to get rid of stuff. Score!  
Mom and her free framed Monet poster
Some other passersby with their freestyle finds
The double score was that guy from the first sale told us that the house next door had put all their garage sale leftovers in the backyard for people to take. Surely an opportunity not to be missed.


Perusing the garage sale leftovers
"Garage sale leftovers" does not have the most glamorous ring to it, but some of the stuff was pretty nice.  I must also compliment the organizers for their well-arranged display of the goods on folding tables.  We weren't in need of lamps or clothes, but I did snag a few frames since I have a thing for those. I also grabbed a set of 6 little butter knives in a holder (ultimately those stayed with my folks since they couldn't fly with me), hopefully they will end up with someone who does a lot of entertaining and has a need for small utensils.


Mmmmm, garage sale leftovers

Corner detail of a funky art nouveau-inspired frame.
This experience just goes to show that it doesn't hurt to just pop in for a quick look.... you never know what freestyle finds await!