Tuesday, February 23, 2016

'Bamboo Rug' is not an oxymoron

'Bamboo Rug' may sound like an oxymoron, but it isn't.  The proof is that I found a large bamboo mat on the loading dock some months ago and have been using it like a rug - in the living room, under the coffee table.  In the interests of barefoot walkers everywhere, this is not some plush cushy foot-massaging deep pile rug, rather its function is decorative. It sits upon the laminate fake wood floor and brings some 'definition' to the living room area along with a brighter golden color.

When I found the mat/rug it had these end pieces that stuck up about an inch from the floor (see photo below).
Can you imagine how annoying these end pieces were?  I'm not sure you can.  Trip hazards and toe stubbers just waiting to strike.  So one day (probably in a fit of procrastination) I took some scissors and just started cutting the mat/rug, to see if I could get rid of the end piece while still maintaining the functionality of the rug. Luckily for me this free mat/rug didn't fall apart, but there were a few splintery bits so I covered the end with black tape.


The updated version brings the same color and definition to the space, with 0% of the original annoyingness.  

Maybe in future if I'm feeling both creative, literary, AND calligraphic I can paint my bamboo mat/rug to make it look like the photo below from the Miss Mustard Seed blog.   So cool. 


Transformation potential abounds.

Happy freestyling!