Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Purple mountain-of-a-blanket majesty

I got this heavy-weight jewel-tone blanket a few weeks ago, and man, it is awesome.  Originally from Pottery Barn the internal batting is really heavy, perfect for snuggling under on cold nights.

 Unfortunately the underside lining was a thin silky material and the decorativ stitching that went through the blanket had caused the lining to rip in a few places.


It had been repaired in a few places before.....

But at some point you just have to decided to either reinforce, or replace, the entire backing. So that's what I did.  I had found a set of like-new ike sheets in a dark grey, a perfect tonal complement to the jewel-plum color of this blanket, and decided to sacrifice the flat sheet to this higher calling.  Just like making a pillowcover I put the 'right' sides of the fabric together and sewed around the edge for most of the way, then turned everything rightside out.  I finished the final bit with  machine since I was not interested in hand stitching suh a heavy duty item.


In order to cover the entire backing I had to go around the edge of the blanket a bit, so if you were to lay it flat the front velvet side would have a thin grey border.  A recent houseguest heard this story and got to try out the blanket for a few nights.  She declared, "This blanket it awesome.  I want it."


There you have it.  Another example of a successful attempt to repair, reuse, and remake.  
And the entire thing is machine washable!

Happy freestyling.