Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Get a handle on it!


Finding a free suitcase

I found this free roller suitcase one night, and it was clean and empty but with one very obvious problem. 
A broken handle, of which I don't actually have a photo.
I took it because small roller suitcases uses beyond just travel, including helping to store things in my basement storage unit in a more organized - and slightly protected - way.
Once I got it home I thoroughly vacuumed the insides (including under the liner) and treated it with baking soda - just to make sure there was nothing lingering.

picture of blue roller suitcase laying on its side
An 'it' bag?

















Although I didn't need another suitcase, I wanted to see if I could fix the handle and make it a fully functional bag again.

Diagnosing and fixing a broken handle

The retractable handle mechanism would not retract because the place where the handle curved from the horizontal handle part to the vertical connector had broken on one side. The pieces were all present, but the button on the top of the handle could not contact the little vertical metal rod that controls the retraction.  I'd seen this before (and there are videos online) so I had some idea of how to fix it.
Repaired section of retractable suitcase handle
A repaired retractable handle



























I borrowed some super glue from a neighbor (who coincidentally said he would be interested in a free suitcase if it was fixable.)  I applied the super flue after carefully aligning the interior metal rod with the push-button mechanism, and lining up the exterior plastic sections along their fracture line.  Following the super glue manufacturer's instructions I held the pieces together while the glue was setting.  After letting the glue dry further for about 2 hrs I tested the handle and it retracted perfectly.  The new owner was happy with his free find, but said he might reinforce the repair with some electrical tape for 'peace of mind' - which sounds like a good idea to me.

Conclusion

So far the suitcase has held up to the rigors of travel, and hopefully will continue to do so for many trips to come.
Happy freestyling!