Thursday, May 31, 2012

Framed! An underwater mystery piece

Found!
(the green bucket is for compost)
 Found: small wooden frame for a panorama-style photo print, no markings or brand, glass intact.

Repairs required: only cleaning

<--Before

      After-->




  I was excited to find this nifty little wooden frame, but how to freestyle it when I didn't have any prints that I wanted for my wall?  I could have turned it over to Creative Roommate to fill with an original painting, but then a mysterious coincidence came to pass, inspired by a real life underwater mystery... read on for the full story.




One night around dinner time, Creative Roommate made me aware of this video of a mysterious underwater thing.  As I am a fan of all things aquatic, people know I like videos of underwater creatures, the stranger the better! When I saw this, I knew I had to pass it on to other fans of marine mysteries, some of whom just happen to be crafty with the paper/scissors/glue.    
 (Video also available here if the first link doesn't work)
Deepstaria enigmatica I presume....
Inspired by this mysterious underwater creature/object/part-of-creature, I was the recipient of one of life's best free things- a letter from a friend that was also original artwork.

How can I thank Deepstaria enigmatica (what some believe is the name of the jelly shown in the video) for being an artistic inspiration to my friend?  I suppose one small act of thanks is continuing to recycle plastic bags so that they don't end up in the ocean (where they get eaten by turtles who can die from the resulting intestinal blockage).  Jellies might be minimalists, but if they had to pay rent I'm sure they would appreciate free things like the rest of us, especially free artwork.  So I love this letter, and want to have it up where I can see it, but how to best display it?  


Quelle karmic coincidence, this inspired piece fits perfectly into the latest free frame find.

In a new sea of blue

I'm calling this one a freestyle group effort.  It's not every day I get to cite jellyfish as a collaborator.