Friday, May 25, 2012

Freestyle - paying it forward with plants


I like plants. They help with humidity, air quality, and they are good for you.  Exactly why and how plants are good for you is an evolving field of study, but some research is based on ideas such as the biophilia hypothesis (where humans are innately attracted to other living organisms and want to spend time with them).  For a quick, easy to read, run down on why you should get some potted plants, check out this article in Psychology Today on urban mindfulness.

Being a plant fan, I sometimes find myself with an over-abundance of sprouts, shoots, and such.  Along with picture frames I'm always looking for free planters and trays in anticipation of splitting my Sansevieria, giving the new spider plant 'babies' their own place, or sneaking another cutting from my boyfriend's jade plant.  Recently these supplies reached critical mass, we do live in an apartment with limited space and sunlight, so I decided it was time to set up some plantings and let others benefit from my accumulated abundance.  Call it freestyling with botanicals, spreading the plant-love, or just giving the gift of green.  

Check out the schematic below for information on where all the planters came from.


I should note that the spider plant (in upper left corner) is a descendant of a plant given to me from a friend years ago.  This plant is at least the 10th offshoot from the original, I keep giving them away so I've rather lost track.....  As part of some freestyle cycle of karma, that same friend will now be getting a jade plant after she moves into her new place!  Most of these plants have already found their way into new homes, ranging from high-tech offices to the common cubicle.  There they will patiently stand as reminders of the possibilities of freestyle while recycling your old exhalations into fresh air, for free!