Saturday, June 16, 2012

Watch out and wear it out.


I like to wear watches out.  I like to wear a watch day and night until it falls off my wrist. The past 4 or so watches have eventually fallen off because the wristband has broken, not because the time-keeping device has failed.  Normally you would be able to just buy a replacement band, but for reasons unknown, timex doesn't seem to sell replacement bands for their ladies ironman watches. Bah to that.  I have tried to fix a few watchbands, but they are some sort of rubber and even with hot glue, or string, or duct tape....it just doesn't work.  Also I don't want to look too shabby.

How does this relate to freestyle?  Despite not having a functional wristband, I saved the watch part, waiting for inspiration. And waiting.

But recently, during a dinner-time open ideas session, Creative Roommate (not a watch wearer) and I were thinking of when she might want to know the time, but wouldn't have access to her phone.  We came up with: 1) Swimming, 2) Biking 

I had a large piece of fake leather (fleather?) remnant from a discount store (left over from another project), so we came up with the idea of a cuff-type bracelet with the time piece attached.  Since the pins that held the original wristband to the timepiece were still intact, I took a narrow piece of fleather and threaded it over the pin-under the watch-over the other pin, and attached it to a larger piece of fleather.  
The result is shown below.
After the main attachment









After fitting the main piece to Creative Roommate's wrist, we decided that an angled attachment would be the best way to ensure a proper fit.  I first suggested rip&stick-type closure, she wanted snaps, and I just happened to have some 'pearl' covered snaps in the old notions box.  After some decorative stitching around the outside and snaps installation the reclaimed watch was ready to wear.

Snaps!



It has an angled closure in order to fit the arm better, a custom fit for the apartment artist.


What time is is? Freestyle time!