Thursday, June 21, 2012

Freestyle Shoebag from Canvas Shelving

A long time ago, in a land far away, I found some hanging canvas shelves on the sidewalk (and then promptly washed them once they got home). We're talking years ago here. I've used bits and pieces for other projects, but lately I've gotten tired of looking at the old plastic bag I store these remnants in.  So I asked my roommates, what would be useful to you that I could make out of canvas that is already in these odd sack-like shapes?
Answer: A bag for shoes! Something to throw in a backpack, sturdier than a plastic bag, and washable, but not important enough that it matters if it gets dirty/lost/ripped.
Shoelaces from shoes on their way to the donation center. 
To be repurposed!
I decided on a drawstring top bag. There are openings for strings at opposite ends. Since the recipient usually travels via bicycle I made the shoelaces/drawstrings long enough that they could be used to tie this simple freestyle canvas bag to the outside of a backpack if need be. 
Large enough to hold a pair of men's sport shoes.
Partially closed bag.
 
There were some random seams required because of the deconstruction-reconstruction process, I used a contrasting color thread just for kicks.  Any other suggestions for how to freestyle these fabric remnants?  An apartment only needs so many shoe bags.