Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Cookware cachepot (otherwise titled "How to reuse a broken pot with no handle")

DIY: How to reuse old cookware by turning it into a planter

One of my roommates had used up the life of a metal cooking pot, somehow the rivets that held the handle to the bowl had gotten thoroughly rusted. I suspect that food got trapped in the crevices and provided a suitable environment for bacteria to work their magic.  With some well applied force the other rivet holding the handle popped off and I was gifted the leftovers of a broken saucepot. I was overjoyed, new planter!

Although I do like the look of succulents in silveplate pieces like punchbowls with ornate handles this was just a plain saucepan with no lovely scrollwork or other ornamentation.  Also, the copper bottom contrasting with the sides made it obvious that it had started its life as cookware so after a thorough cleaning I decided to spray paint the whole thing white.

Here is the pot on its very fancy spray painting stand -- made out of a plastic jar that once held nuts and cardboard I found in the recycling.  High tech indeed.



I picked an unseasonable cold day when the outdoor temperature dropped BELOW the level recommended for use on the spray can. Whatever, not going to stop the creative process!  I kept the can indoors between coats so it wouldn't get too chilly.

Here is the pot after one coat, I was pleasantly surprised how well the paint stuck to bare metal even in the cold.



After three, or four, or maybe five coats of spray paint (with plenty of dry time in between) I called it quits. Enough with the painting-- I've got plants to tend to!

Here is the final product, now a proud cachepot holding a lovely peacock plant on top of another freestyle piece of furniture that I haven't even written about yet.
















Happy gardening, and don't give up on that old cookware.  Give worn out pots or pans a new purpose in life with the magic of spray paint.

Happy freestyling!