Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Freestyle @ Friends' - Mirror makeover

The freestyle inspiration keeps happening across all the lands!  I got an email from a friend halfway across the country with one line, "This mirror is made out of some cheap wood. What do you think I should do to it if I want to paint it?" (and two attached pictures).  The pictures show a shiny-surface frame, probably a plastic-based veneer over pressboard / particleboard, but with nice proportions and a timeless shape.

free mirror, take 1





















free mirror, intact and shiny veneer





















My recommendation was to NOT sand the piece because that might cause bubbling later if the pressboard underneath were to absorb liquid from any paint. LEARN FROM MY EXPERIENCE! I had this happen with a scandi-superstore piece before - where I followed generic refinishing instructions and lightly sanded to scuff the surface but that then allowed the liquid paint I later applied to seep through the veneer and into the pressboard (or particleboard).  This ended up causing some low bubbles and didn't ruin the project, but it was visible in angled light. So, anyway, back to this particular mirror. I recommended spray paint primer (optional) and spray paint as opposed to roll-on paint.

The refinished outcome is below, much improved with a lighter wash over the fake wood veneer.
Yay for backyard DIY and free furniture!

























Happy freestyling, and if the mirror is intact, take it!