Tuesday, July 24, 2018

2-drawer dresser makeover

I found this small scandi-superstore nightstand/ small chest one night while cruising the discard pile.  Often these particleboard-based furniture pieces don't survive the un-gentle process of being discarded, can you see why?


You might not think there was anything salvageable in that sad pile of broken things, but somehow this little buddy had survived intact.


I thought it would be fun to try painting the outside, and if it all went wrong, well, that is sometimes the price of experimentation with paint.

Since there are many many painting tutorials out there, I'll just say that I sanded a tiny bit, and was patient enough to use primer.  Sanding might have been a mistake since this was particleboard. I used this Zinsser Zero because it said they were zero VOCs, and I was pleased that I couldn't detect any bad odors. I did have to stir a lot to get an even consistency of the primer on the brush, in retrospect the application would have been better with a roller.


I did two coats of primer because my brushwork leaves something to be desired.


I knew that this would also be a chance to use this pair of cool matching drawer pulls that I had in my collection. Yes, I collect hardware even if I don't know where it will be used. Sometimes it is the only thing I can rescue because of time/space/transport limitations. Sigh.  These had lost some shine, but I like the shape.  The desire to use these handles miiiiiight have been the impetus for this entire project, who's to say?


I had to drill holes in the drawers for the new handles, this was also an excuse to use a variety of drill bits. I ended up needing the 1/4", which is the largest in my set, and thus a possible message that I might need a wider range of drill bits.


After one coat of Valspar 'Sea Swirl' (applied with a roller) I knew there would need to be a second coat. There were also a few sort of vague bubble-lumps that looked like they had been caused by the top getting wet. Maybe from too much primer?  Not super obvious, but visible in a certain light.  I didn't see anything similar in the drawer fronts or the sides.



After the second coat and the ready to proceed with hardware installation.



Here it is all staged in a corner, not where it will eventually live, but good for the photos.



Love the drawer pulls! They strike me as greek-key inspired.  Perhaps they will get a new shiny metal coating some day.

The total project-specific cost was approx $20, here is the break-down:

Primer, $12 (with plenty left over for future fun)
Paint sample, $5 (approx half a can left)
Drill and bits, already owned
Hardware, $0 ( freecycle salvage)

I had thought about adding some little legs to raise the height, but that would involve adding some wood to make a base. I have scrap wood, so this makeover might just have a sequel. Stay tuned!

Happy freestyling.