Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Finds: Pastel insert & Pomegranate dessert

You might remember my earlier post about freestyle-on-the-road finds from my summer trip to the home state.... If not, I've included a picture below to jog your memory about the neat-o frames I found and was able to bring back to Cambridge. As I was taking this stuff across country I was reminded of those Antiques Roadshow-esque moments where someone is describing how they came across a tsarist russian medal/ ancient nubian war mask/ signed copy of the Magna Carta in some random basement/ flea market and everyone wonders just how on earth did it get there??? Yeah, well, this is how. People grab stuff they think is cool, pack it up, ship it all over, sell it/ forget about it/ pass it on to unappreciative heirs...and then bam, church basement rummage sale.  Hmm, maybe I should go to more of those...  Anyway, back to the frames, specifically the one in the upper right corner of the picture.
Garage sale leftovers, best served free!
 I gave the wooden one (with pastel-ish insert) to Creative Roommate as a gift from the heartland, she loved it. She also liked the free t-shirt I wrapped the frame in, grey, her favorite!  Naturally a frame is not fulfilling its highest and best use until it is accenting some art, especially if that art involves food.

I weeell be nomming this pomegranate.
Creative Roommate found inspiration in a cute picture of a meerkat nomming on a pomegranate. (For those of you who have never seen the site Cute Overload, 'nomming' is eating- but done by super cute animals. Be warned, clicking on the CuteOverload link can lead to many work-wasting giggle minutes.)

So there it goes, from distant free pile to Cambridge freestyle.  Happy nommings.