Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Fortuitous Appearance of an Adventure Bag


Normally I’m hesitant about grabbing used textiles, and bags especially.  On the minor end of the problem spectrum, small things like snaps, buckles, or zippers might not be functioning. On the more serious end of the problem spectrum there is the reality of mysterious stains, rips of various sizes, or that surprise mephitic whiff….

Sometimes though, just sometimes, someone gives away some luggage that seems to be both useful and relatively clean. Such was the case of black adventure bag Adventure Bag.  During the initial examination at le dump, I was surprised to find no major problems, so home it came.  My initial thought was that boyfriend could use it for an upcoming trip to South America. He said it looked like it might be useful, so I washed it. In the sink the water turned purplish-black, from dirt or dye release? I’m not sure.   Adventure Bag survived the wash, and here it is:


Adventure bag, closed

Rawr! Adventure bag open in full glory.
But how useful might this bag be?  I testing its carrying utility, deemed it to be of sufficient space and sturdiness, and no part of the Bag ripped unexpectedly....nothing ripped at all actually.

Keeping in mind the strict weight limits imposed on Boyfriend's luggage for his trip, he included the Adventure Bag in his packing. (Turns out he should have included more granola bars as well, but we'll chalk that one up to 'lessons learned from traveling.')

Here he is, modeling the bag-in-action during a trip to one of the spectacular sights of the region.



Boyfriend's final verdict on the Adventure Bag? "It fit all my important stuff. So it was useful, because I could  keep it in front of me while walking around and could hold on to it."  I call that a win for freestyle, or in this case estilo-gratis, on location, somewhere in Peru.