Friday, October 19, 2012

The value of a printer's mark

Found: Framed print of mother & child. No title, signature, or information on the back. What to do?  I originally took the piece for the frame and matting, but it seemed worthwhile to look for more info. But how to start?

Sorry about the camera flash glare....

There was one small piece of information, an imprinted mark on the lower right corner. Although it had 2 lines, only the bottom was legible to my eyes. It reads "Muenchen-22."  
Since this is how you would spell the German city of München (a.k.a. Munich) without using the umlaut, I thought this piece must have some connection to Germany.   Maybe it was made there, or maybe it was made by someone from there.

(Random Shoutout: Herr Schmitz would be proud of me, I still remember ein bisschen Deutsch!)

Oh tiny imprint, what can you tell me?

Here is where that printer's mark (as I later learned it was) took me.

Muenchen-22 led me to the name "Von der Becke", a German printer. 
Full name: Alexander Von der Becke.
Time range of operation: early-mid 20th Century
 The top line of 2 line imprint likely reads "A.V.D.BECKE"

In finding works by the printer, I learned he printed reproductions, etchings, by the artist Käthe Kollwitz, and that Von der Becke had purchased her plates in 1931.   From what I could gather, Von der Becke published mostly unsigned, and thus inexpensive, Kollwitz works. Some more searching through Kollwitz prints led to a matching image, and a title of my find! 
"Mutter mit Kind auf den Arm" (Mother with child in her arms)

The original version of this picture was created by Kollwitz in 1910,  There were reproductions made by Von der Becke starting in the 1930s, but work was interrupted by WWII.  Other websites mentioned reproductions made during the years 1946-48, and 1963-65, but it isn't clear how often or how many of these were printed.  Alexander Von der Becke died in 1958, but his business continued to be run by his wife and son, so Kollwitz prints were published until 1972.  

I have no way to tell the age of this print. Also, given the fact that it is unsigned and was found at the dump I don't have high hopes for its value. Oh well, another fun freestyle puzzle, its good to stay challenged.

On this little quest, which only took half an hour, I learned a little bit about German art and solved a mystery!


Other resources for learning about Käthe Kollwitz (1867-1945):