Tuesday, February 5, 2013

NQF - Vintage ice bucket becomes a planter

[author's note: I thought I published this post earlier, but according to Blogger it was still a draft, so if you have seen it before, well, you know how it ends, if not, read on!]]

Say hello to the NQF.

Not Quite Free, a designation I'll use when there is something oh-so-worth-sharing that involved paying money somehow. Surprising perhaps, but it does happen.


I write this from deep within the throes of my succulent obsession.  Lately I find myself perusing the shelves of Central Square thrift stores with an intense eye for anything tarnished and ornately fashioned.  It can't just be silver, it has to be slightly aged.  It has to be ornamented, with some sort of scrolled, molded, or floral decorative motifs to have the right look I'm after to round out my vision for a shelf of succulents in silverplate planters.......

Behold the ice bucket!!


I thought the substantial depth would allow for a thick gravel layer at the bottom for adequate drainage of the plants.  Am I the first to post about re-using an ice bucket in this way? Probably not.  Did I know what I was doing when I decided to take out the old and crumbly lining/insulation that connected the ceramic insert to the silver? Most definitely no.  After my deconstruction I discovered that the white ceramic insert was just sitting on a rough wooden block to keep it from touching the metal.

I added planting materials (gravel, succulent/cactus potting soil) and my plants - a mix of purchases from a local florist and the Scandinavian superstore (who would have thought?).  Check out the results.






I should note that at first I thought this doohickey was a soup tureen.  It was Creative Roommate who said, "oh, it's an ice bucket, my Aunt ----- had one of those when I was growing up."  Nice.

Project costs
Ice bucket from the Goodwill: ~ $8.99
Plants (from 2 different stores):  ~ $15

While the planter and plants were not quite free, the inspiration certainly was.  Check out some the pictures that inspired me (below) or search for 'succulents and silver' to find your own favorites.
via Pinterest

via Garden Therapy featured on Shelterness

via Antiquechase
I'm impressed with the trophy cup on the left, it adds such nice height variation.

This won't be the last post describing succulents planted in silverplate containers, so stay tuned.
Happy not-quite-freestyling!