Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Cross-Country Caladium Caper

Caladium Acquisition & Transport

While visiting some friends with a sub-tropical outdoor garden the discussion turned to....plants. Naturally.  They generously agreed to let me take some cuttings home for my own container garden, but the only catch was that I'd have to take them on an airplane.  This might sound tricky but it's actually not, as long as you are flying within the lower 48 states.  I didn't have a hard-sided box, so we dug up some of the Caladium plants and wrapped the roots in damp paper towels, then put the plants into large plastic bags with the tops slightly open.

Here are the Caladium cuttings prepped for transport in their plastic bags.
























When on the airplane I carefully placed the plastic bags on top of my backpack in the space under the seat in front of me.  This worked just fine for a short flight.


Post-Transport Plant Results

The plants survived with no damage to the leaves and stems.  Lucky!



















I prepped a few cleaned out yogurt containers to serve as planters by cutting a series of triangles out of the base.  These were then stacked inside of another yogurt container to serve as a cachepot.














Caladium Conclusion

The final transplanted Caladiums in their new freestyle homes!




















Happy freestyling, and don't be afraid to try something new in your container garden!