Tuesday, January 28, 2020

From protein powder to plant home

Plastic planter made for free

Earlier this summer I was casting around for small, lightweight, and weather-resistant planters to use on our balcony.  And free, they had to be free because I'd already spent enough money on plants and didn't want to buy things that I would likely have to store indoors over the winter. 
 I must admit that prewashed salad clamshells are pretty baller because they meet those requirements and are in plentiful supply, but I was hoping for things that were not too obviously reused food containers.  A friend offered up a few empty plastic containers that originally contained protein powder.  Lightweight, weather-resistant, and no printed label on the basic white plastic? 

Yes please.


I drilled a few holes in the bottom to give them drainage.
The drainage holes should probably be larger to allow for more air circulation, but I tried to compensate by drilling extra holes.

I added a lavender plant to each, put them on a balcony, and crossed my fingers hoping that the plants would survive and maybe even flower. 

Conclusion

Still waiting for those lavender flowers....

Happy freestyling!